Sunday, November 10, 2013

Has Students' Behavior Gotten Worse?


As a young teacher, I often find myself wondering about the state of student behavior. Not too far removed from high school, I sometimes find myself in shock and awe when witnessing some of the crazy things today's students attempt to get away with. I simply don't remember my classmates and I being so disrespectful, or sometimes downright mean.

I'll question some of the older teachers in the building, "Are these students worse than years prior?" Most say yes.

However, are they really getting worse or is our perception just a tad skewed? As for my high school memories, my perception is flawed for sure. I attended all honors and AP classes, and therefore, was only around other students who were on their best behavior. Going through college, we unfortunately live in a dream world where our days are filled with students like those we were around in high school. After we graduate and get a job, we realize the world is a tad different than what we had seen through our rainbow-tented glasses.

But what about the teachers who have claimed students are getting worse? While I can't argue with the perception of veteran teachers- they would know more about student behavior in the 90's better than I would- I do believe teachers' patience for shenanigans wears thinner and thinner as they progress throughout their career. Perhaps it's this burnout- a burnout that leads careers nationwide in professional turnover- that causes teachers to feel students are getting worse.

Recently, during a night where I had nothing better to do, I found myself watching The Breakfast Club for the first time. I know. I know. I had never watched it until recently. At any rate, I found myself watching the film from the perspective of a teacher. Have you ever realized the amount of, "Oh my God, that would be on CNN tomorrow," moments The Breakfast Club has? During that film, students pull use weapons, participate in drug use, commit multiple sexual harassment offenses, portrays a corrupt teacher committing confidentiality fraud and student abuse, etc., etc.

And that's in one day.

Of course, it's a film, and Hollywood has a way of blowing things out of proportion. However, it does show that even during the time The Breakfast Club was written, the issues of today's schools were present. Issues such as poor home life, bullying, and ironically, a teacher who feels students have gotten worse.

So, as always, what do you guys think? Those of you who have been in the field longer than I, have students gotten worse over the years?

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I have been in education for 20 years now and I do not think behavior has gotten worse. I think there are a variety of challenges that we deal with now that were not present 20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dean,

    I agree with you. I think there's a mixture of cultural changes and just the way we as schools handle our discipline issues. I've taught at schools where the only possible punishment is suspension. While that may work well for a student who cares about their grade, for a student who could care less, he/she will gladly serve their break before coming back and causing trouble again. It's just tough to deal with apathetic students. That would make a good future post. :)

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete